Raspberry Pi 4 support?

Is this supported for the newest Raspberry Pi 4 model? I haven’t been able to boot into it using the new model.

Currently not. You could try copying the contents of /boot from a new sd card image into the musicbox image. But I’ve not tried it yet and I’m not sure that trick will still work.

Don’t think it worked for me. Got this error during boot.

Kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown- block(179,6)

Did you copy cmdline.txt over also? That one might need some fiddling. I will give it a go tonight/tomorrow and see if I can get any further.

Yeah I copied cmdline.txt and made some changes to it.

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 dwc_otg.fiq_enable=1 dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_enable=1 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait quiet splash plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles

Got it to boot but it’s failing to detect the wlan0 adapter and when initializing MusicBox, the error of

WARNING: No audio card found

is thrown.

dtparam=audio=on

is in /boot/config.txt so not sure why that error is still thrown.
Perhaps I’ve not changed cmdline.txt properly

Good work. The wireless drivers we can probably fix with manually installing the latest brcm wireless firmware package.

The audio, I am not so sure about. Thought that would just work…

Have you tried running rpi-update (with a wired connection)?

Haven’t been able to. Have you given it a go?

In case it helps, I’ve got Buster “in production” now. I cannot get a Pi4 here in the US for love nor money.

KO

Hi!
Is there any progress on the RPi4 support front? I just picked up a new one from my local Micro Center the other day, as it was the only RPi they had in stock, and I wanted to use it for a little MusicBox.

Thanks.

I haven’t been able to get a Pi4 yet, so I haven’t tested that, but I am using the version of Raspbian that came out with it, Buster, on my music server at home and that works fine. As soon as I can get my hands on a 4GB Pi4 I’ll be testing it for sure.

Just a follow up. Did you get it to work?

Probably worth what you paid for it, but I got a 4GB Pi4, put an existing SD Buster/Mopidy card in it, popped on the donor’s HiFiBerry hat, made appropriate configuration changes. Mopidy worked fine.

I’ve undone the work because the Pi4 is way too much of a machine to waste just doing Snapclient work, which is what the donor is doing. It just happens to have Mopidy and SnapServer disabled in case I want to stand up another server or something goes wrong with the server that’s currently working.

The question is, what am I going to do with the Pi4? It is what I hoped would come out: USB3, Gb ethernet, 4GB RAM. It would make a nice little NAS, but I have a QNAP going.

KO

No, I still haven’t been able to get it to work. For now, this is the best use case I have for my Pi4 and I’d really appreciate some help/guidance as to how you got Mopidy and/or Pi MusicBox to work? @kingosticks, have you had any luck?

It was no special effort at all. I took a working drive from one of my Pi3’s (all 11 of my Pi’s [multiroom audio] are on Buster as of yesterday) and put it in my Pi4 along with the hardware it uses. I made the configuration changes that I would have to make with Pi3 to make it a stand alone Mopidy box and it just worked with no real mishaps or head scratching.

My recollection is that I did the initial build up on the Pi4 and got the basics done there (no tailoring for Mopidy or the HiFiBerry DAC+) then did an image for the Pi3’s that had the whole enchilada where the three of them can be pressed into service as a Mopidy/Snapcast server in very short order.

I wish I had some keen insight for you. Nick (Kingosticks) knows this stuff way, way better than I do and I’m surprised that it’s giving either of you trouble because for me it just worked.

Raspbian Buster, HiFiBerry, Mopidy, Musicbox, Snapserver, Snapclient. And away it goes. I hope that my data point is of some use and I’m sorry that this is giving you guys trouble. I’m using the stock July 10, 2019 Raspbian image as my starting point.

You know, I may be posting in the wrong area. I am building up from raw Raspbian images. I recall reading something early on in the Pi4 era that Raspbian Buster needed some small changes to work on the Pi4. Could it be that the issue isn’t PiMusicBox itself, but the foundation it’s built on is no longer viable? My Mopidy servers use the full GUI + goodies version of Buster.

KO

Oh so you run the Buster GUI on the Pi4 and then install mopidy/Pi MusicBox on top of it? Like you’re not booting an image that comprises solely of mopidy and/or PiMb?

With all respect to Wooster and Nick, I go from the ground up. I had issues with the baked version. IMO, when the Pi Foundation released the Lite versions, the PiMusicBox distro became a lot less compelling.

KO

Any update? Bought a Pi 4 wanting to install this and have not had luck.

I’m afraid I’m not working on pimusicbox right now, Python 3 support on Mopidy is more pressing.

1 Like