Mopidy-spotify seemingly slowing internet/wifi

Hi, apologies, I am not terribly experienced in the detail of Mopidy but I seem to have come across a problem where running mopidy (for use with Spotify, hosted on raspberry pi) seems to kill my broadband performance.

I have used mopidy successfully for a long time and only after updating recently have I noticed this issue (past couple months). I at first thought the pi zero I was using to host could be the issue. So I bought a new pi3 and just today did a clean install and still see the same issue. I have tried dropping the bit rate down with no success. What it tends to result in from Mopidy’s perspective is tracks cutting out, however, the main (and most surprising) issue is that it results in serious impairment to my entire network. Pages fail to load on my phone and laptop, Video streaming services complaining lack of bandwidth etc, it just becomes pretty unuasable.

Has anyone else run into this before?

I can try and provide more detail if there is anything that can help, again apologies for the vagueness of this issue.

Cheers.

Did you use the same sd card in both cases? Very slow sd cards can be an issue. Can you try another brand?

Thanks for the reply, I have a spare SD that I will try instead (although it is same brand SanDisk Ultra 16gb) Any idea why the SD can end up having a detrimental impact on the network? Cheers.

It could cause Spotify tracks to stutter. It wouldn’t impact your network speeds but your explanation of the problem doesn’t describe that.

Sorry, poor description on my behalf. I’ve updated my original post.

One thing I’m thinking could be that the speakers I’m using are pretty old, wondering if they could cause some interference with my WiFi. Going to run some additional tests this week!

If they’re simple old passive speakers wired to an amp, that really didn’t strike me as a potential culprit. Old wireless speakers with built in amps could do it, but I don’t think that’s what you’re describing.

BUT, I’m willing to learn from your testing should I be wrong. Are you running the Pi3 wirelessly and could you test with a wired connection to see how that affects things?

I’m running multi-room audio with typically seven Pi’s of pretty much every type of Pi the Foundation ever put out via SnapCast with Mopidy as the server. I don’t really notice bandwidth issues even when I’m running all of that audio around the house. The DSL modem and router/switch I’m using are at least four years old. Decent consumer grade stuff, but nothing high buck.

I don’t use Spotify (no account, no way to test for you).

How about using Mopidy Tune-In as an experiment, just to try to identify a culprit?

KO

Hey, thanks for the response, I was using very basic wired computer speakers connected to my pi (small flat so don’t need anything high quality for background music). I have just tried moving the pi thats running mopidy to the otherside of my flat and using a different set of speakers.

Sadly no luck, I go from great connection on all my devices and then when mopidy is started after a few minutes or so everything seems to grind to a halt, even speaking to you right now I am struggling to connect to webpages (once I do connect the speed is fast but mist of the time it results in no pages loading at all). I am running the pi on wireless connection, I will try an experiment with wired to see if that makes a difference.

I have never tried mopidy tune in, but will give it a shot soon as a test.

Is it possible to install an older version of mopidy to test this, as I previously did not have any issues?

edit - just to confirm this is with a brand new SD card in the pi

Cheers

Finally had a chance to look at this again. It would appear that the issue has improved by making my RPi a non-static IP address (don’t know if it was a router issue or what).

EDIT - Okay problem is back. Interestingly it appears to coincide with this output from Mopidy:

ERROR Spotify connection error: <ErrorType.UNABLE_TO_CONTACT_SERVER: 8>
INFO Disconnected from Spotify
INFO Logged in to Spotify in online mode

I get a bunch of these errors and thats when my wifi gets killed and sometimes the music stops playing (presumably because the songs stored in the cache have been completed and due to a dodgy connection I can’t get more from the Spotify server).

Any thoughts?