WiFi Disconnecting

I have multiple Pis running MusicBox, all on RC7 now. The hard-wired ones are mostly fine, but every one using WiFi, whether built in or a USB adapter, drops off the network periodically. As a test I had my network automatically reboot at 3am and that causes them all to drop and they don’t reconnect until I reboot the pi, even though the network is only down for a minute or two. Even without having the network reboot nightly the WiFi Pi’s all eventually drop off, it’s like they won’t reconnect after WiFi is dropped. What am I missing?

Am I the only one having issues with this? Perhaps it’s more an issue with the router? Other devices are fine, I feel that it’s the Pi not reconnecting after it drops momentarily.

Seeing the same here on my Pi 3. My router runs 24/7, and no other devices have issues.

The Pi Musicbox drops off the wi-fi every night. No issues if connected via ethernet.

Well I’m glad I’m not alone, just wish I knew what would fix it.

Have exactly the same - definitely not router. Kodi on Pi3 runs via WiFi in 5 cm next to Musicbox for forever - never had any issues.

Wifi on musicbox connects initially, but then drops in few minutes.

Hopefully someone can figure this out, love the concept but not really wanting to have to hard-wire them all.

Have any of you been able to do anything to prevent this? Getting tired of rebooting each one that’s wireless any day I want to actually use it.

If you can logon to your RPi and type sudo iwconfig from the command prompt you should see

wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:“lrffw”
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: 08:02:8E:EF:3F:31
Bit Rate=72.2 Mb/s Tx-Power=31 dBm
Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=60/70 Signal level=-50 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:6 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

and you want to ensure Power Management is off. If not type iwconfig power off to ensure it is.

1 Like

Power Management is indeed off, was really hoping that was the answer. This is truly driving me crazy.

I’m thinking doing a scheduled reboot at like 3am may be the next trial. Does anyone think that may work?

Any instructions on how to achieve this? Have tried different things in crontab and I’m failing pretty hard.

Should be easy enough with a edit of crontab and adding a line to reboot at 3AM

crontab -e

Add a line like this:

0 3 * * * reboot

Ctrl+x to exit and then Y and enter to save your crontab entry.

I’d recommend restarting networking not the entire raspberry pi since that’s the service that’s causing you the problems. If it’s indeed not power management, I’ve had success with a static ARP entry on my router since DHCP lease expiration could be the cause.

1 Like

How would I go about restarting networking on a scheduled basis (say, 3am daily)? Sorry, this stuff confuses me, I’ve done minimal stuff with RetroPie, this just feels very different.

And thanks Shanwa, I had tried getting Crontab to reboot it yesterday by doing this:

sudo nano /etc/crontab

0  3     * * *   root    reboot

Didn’t seem to work (nor do I see how to put things properly here).

How about something like this it pings your router and if it can’t get an answer it reboots the pi, further down is a script to try and restart the network.
Not an ideal solution but might be a good workaround.

I like this, I have 6 pi’s going, 5 on WiFi. The hard wired one never has issues. 3 of the 5 have now been connected for about a week, however 2 of them still drop off daily. Really struggling here. I also am unsure if a daily reboot will work because the time isn’t accurate on the Pi by default, is that right? I feel incredibly inept with this stuff.

Hi, I’m not sure if you are replying to my post above or to another post further back.
The small script I suggested makes the pi ping your router every few seconds, if it doesn’t get a reply it automatically reboots the pi, this should pick up the wifi connection again.
It doesn’t rely on a time of day reboot, as you mention the pi could drop connection anytime, so rebooting at a specific time is a tad pointless.
The article explains it all very clearly and it would appear to be a viable solution to your situation.

Apologies, should have made it more clear. I am using what you sent, and 3/5 of the WiFi Pi’s seem to be working just fine, 2 of them have dropped off and are not reconnecting.

Do they reconnect when you reboot them?

If I unplug/replug they do, most of these are headless so that’s how I’ve been doing it. Is there a log or something I can pull?