Simplistic web GUI for kids?

Hi all,

my kids have now outgrown the printed NFC/RFID cards and want more audiobooks :grinning:

My idea is to build a simple web user GUI which just shows series and episodes. Either a whole series or just selected episodes. This UI should then work on a simple RasPi with touch display or on a locked-down smartphone. And play audio from Spotify.

What’s the best way to get the started? Take an existing UI like Iris, strip it down and rebuild?

Cheers
bluepuma

Might depend a bit on how familiar you are with the framework iris utilises. It’s quite a complex webclient. Might be easier to start with one of the simpler ones, or even stater from scratch. I don’t think there are many (any?) that are optimised around touch so this sounds cool.

Thanks.

I did some more research and found the awesome Mopidy.js JavaScript library :slight_smile:

I think it would not be too difficult to add this kind of feature to mowecl.

The UI is somewhat modular, adding a new view seems totally doable to me. If you want to “lock” users into the view, you could add a setting for that. Also touch screen is supported (not that I did much to enable this, but the combination of react + material-ui seems good enough). The footer layout (track controls + information) is not a perfect fit for small screens, but is still totally usable (I sometime use it on my phone).
Also I don’t know much about the topic, but there’s something called “react native” to compile a react app to android, I am somewhat interested about working in this direction some time in the future.

Also for audiobooks I have added support for bookmarks in mowecl !

Thanks for sharing. I really like the idea of mopidy-bookmarks.

Audiobooks are mostly used by the kids. So far I have fetched the current state every few seconds and saved it to DB and had a special function to restore it (load playlist, skip to title and fast forward to second).

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.