Pi Musicbox stops scanning files

Hi,

3 hours after starting Pi Musicbox it stops scanning files.
Last message (on the HDMI output):
“INFO Scanned 14000 of 43554 files in 2541s, ~5365s left”

There is still high system load:

top - 16:33:21 up 2:40, 1 user, load average: 1.02, 1.05, 1.10
Tasks: 74 total, 1 running, 73 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
%Cpu(s): 98.7 us, 1.3 sy, 0.0 ni, 0.0 id, 0.0 wa, 0.0 hi, 0.0 si, 0.0 st
KiB Mem: 496632 total, 440112 used, 56520 free, 6140 buffers
KiB Swap: 0 total, 0 used, 0 free, 256964 cached

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
2662 mopidy 20 0 491m 101m 5216 S 97.4 21.0 144:46.81 mopidy
3096 root 20 0 3144 1252 928 R 1.0 0.3 0:00.19 top
2714 mopidy 20 0 211m 52m 6368 S 0.6 10.9 2:03.25 mopidy

I don’t see any local files on the web interface.
Playing files in Spotify is impossible, the sound stops all the time (probably due to system load).
gmpc loses connection and reacts slowly (this is not the case with another raspi with pure mpd on raspian)

My questions:

• Where do I find the log of the scanning process? It’s not in /var/log/mopidy/mopidy.log
  • How can I start/stop scanning local files manually? “mopidy local scan” doesn’t seem to work.
  • Do I have too much files? The files are on a NFS-share. Btw. I switched to “library = json” in settings.ini

Thank you for any input!

The sqlite backend is likely better for low powered systems like this, so it’s a safer bet.

The scanning use the same log settings as the rest of mopidy, but I’m unsure about how pimusicbox has configured things. Wouldn’t surprise me if things have been disabled to save the SD card.

To much depends, I’ve tested scanning collections as large as a couple of hundred thousand over NFS when working on some improvements to scan speed and memory usage. Now I haven’t tested any of this with the sqlite backend and I know the json one wouldn’t work on raspi as it would run out of memory and get killed. On the down side I haven’t yet had time to bring all of those improvements to mopidy itself :frowning:

MusicBox uses the latest version of local-sqlite, so it should work. I did not test it with thousands of files though. I only use the local files for songs missing from Spotify…

Hi Luigi.
Do you have any solution yet? I have the same problem…

Ole

I’ve given up on this. Pi Musicbox is not useable for me. Maybe I’ll try mopidy with the spotify module only and use pure mpd for local files.

Did you try switching to the “sqlite” library? The “json” library will probably run out of memory in such a setting.

I switched to “json” after I got problems. I can’t remember if “sqlite” worked. I’ll give it a try.

You probably could also - if you so want - create a large swap file and activate that temporarily for the scanning. This might be slow and would write more to the memory card. However, if you don’t care about these issues…

Please try sqlite first. It’s much, much better at scanning large
databases.

Ok, tried it, got the same problem. What really annoys me is the complete lack of information from the system: Every GET-request is logged in /var/log/mopidy/mopidy.log, but not which file is presently being checked.