How get log file on SD Card in Windows

Hi, I am going to come up with questions about a hifiberry_digi sound card, which gives no sound.

But I am new to the RPI system, and I made an image of the musicbox software on my windows computer. When I open the SD card in windows, I can access only the settings.ini file and another file. The whole linux file system is not accessible.

I read about the various log files, which have to be studied, and copied here for finding the errors I encounter.

My question is: how do I access the log files when the card is in Windows?

Windows doesn’t understand Linux filesystems so you have to copy the file from the running Pimusicbox system via some mechanism. I think the simplest thing for you to do is:

• enable ssh access in pimusicbox websettings and save the changes (it will reboot)
  • install and use filezilla on your Windows PC to copy the file(s) from the Pi to your PC. There is some more info at https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/remote-access/ssh/sftp.md on how to do this. Note that the username is root and the password is musicbox.

Alternatively you can install Putty on your Windows PC which I think provides some ssh based copying tools. But I don’t know exactly the steps for that.

Thanks, that did work, and I learned a bit more about ssh.

Maybe this info should be in the troubleshooting page, for less experienced windows users. I also noticed that the line-endings difference between Linux and Windows causes opening log files in Windows with Notepad without structure. Fortunately I have a programming IDE (Komodo) which shows the line endings, but other users could hit upon this. How solve that for them?

I think wordpad gets the line endings right. I don’t use Windows so I’m not sure.

Yes, Wordpad works! Thanks