Can't play local music files

I have just installed the Pi Music Box.

It is working and playing internet radio stations fine.

I have copied some of my music files (.WMA file format) to the memory card.

Music box sees the files and adds them to the play queue, but when you press play, it immediately goes back to stop without playing anything.

Off the top of my head, try a different format to see if GStreamer is having a problem with WMA. I may test, but that’s a bit of a PITA. I’ve got to say that when you get this whole thing working it will be worth the effort.

Testing on the “testbed server” now.

Since it would be a pain to test (I’m using Mopidy MySQL which makes navigating the underlying file structure impossible, AFAIK), a Google of “GStreamer WMA” provided not-too-encouraging results. Let’s start here: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2341948

I’m not sure what version of GStreamer PiMusicBox is using. Nick (KingOSticks) will be a be a better source of information. I’m fairly confident that your issue is that GStreamer is not decoding your WMA files, nothing MusicBox specific.

Well I have found a work around.

I have re ripped one of my CD’s and stored it as MP3 and the Music box plays that okay.

So it looks like the Pi Music box supports MP3 files but not WMA or M4A fies.

It is a shame nobody seems to have published a list of what file formats it will support and how (if) you can load extra codecs to make is support more file formats.

Looks like I am going to have to spend a lot of time to re rip all my CD’s into MP3 format then.

It’s not Pi Music Box or Mopidy or Music Box that aren’t supporting WMA or M4A files, it’s gstreamer that is having the issue. I found a post here from October 2017 (last post) that says “i had the same problem with wma files with gstreamer1.0 on arm, while having gstreamer0.10-plugins-good/ugly/bad/base installed I had to install gstreamer1.0-libav also and now it is working.”

It might not work out of the box, but I think it can be made to work.

[added] See also