Wifi Dongle Issue

Hi all,

i’ve recently started my first RasberryPi project and have encountered my first novice issue.

I have the EDUP EP-N8508 wifi card and i simply cannot get my Pi to connect to my wifi, i assume the wifi card is not plug and play and needs the drivers installing. can someone help me out here - i have really no understanding of where to go with this, so all input is useful.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

ran the script located here Script but it pulled this error - Unrecognised software version: Linux MusicBox 3.18.7+ #755 PREEMPT Thu Feb 12 17:14:31 GMT 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux

root@kitchenMu:~# ifup wlan0
FATAL: Module p80211 not found.
Failed to load p80211.ko.
run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/linux-wlan-ng-pre-up exited with return code 1
ioctl[SIOCSIWAP]: Operation not permitted
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Invalid argument
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.2.2
Copyright 2004-2011 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/wlan0/e8:4e:06:34:fe:04
Sending on LPF/wlan0/e8:4e:06:34:fe:04
Sending on Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
DHCPREQUEST on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPOFFER from 192.168.0.1
DHCPACK from 192.168.0.1
Reloading /etc/samba/smb.conf: smbd only.
bound to 192.168.0.12 – renewal in 39841 seconds.
FATAL: Module p80211 not found.
Failed to load p80211.ko.
run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/linux-wlan-ng-pre-up exited with return code 1
Error for wireless request “Set Power Management” (8B2C) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not permitted.
ioctl[SIOCSIWAP]: Operation not permitted

google “Module p80211 not found”. maybe you are missing a module. or another module is hijacking the wifi

I have tried 3 or 4 different wifi adapters and didn’t need to install drivers with any of them in Pi Musicbox.
Looking at this page it was a simple case of having the wrong SSID. Have you double checked the connection name and password.
Have you tried the wifi dongle to make sure it’s actually working, either in a windows pc or if you have a spare SD card do a full install of Raspbian on it and try the Wifi dongle on that.
When the Pi has booted up is it showing up on your router as Musicbox.
Can you connect the Pi to your router via cable, then try and find it on your network, at least you will know it’s working and you can connect to it. You might then be able to figure out the wifi connection.

I’ve tried re-entered the ssid and password countless times - one query though, is the format =“my password” including the question marks in the config file?
The install is working fine over a wired connection - took me 10 mins to get it up and running, I’ve plugged the wifi adapted in whilst having a wired connection and the adapted shows up but has no IP address. Do I need to change any settings in other files other than the MusicBox .ini?

There shouldn’t be any “” around the ssid or password. You shouldn’t need to change anything else apart from the settings.ini file.
If you remove them don’t forget to reboot, alternatively now you have the musicbox running go to the ‘Settings’ page and enter the wifi address and password in the ‘Network’ section there. Then reboot from the bottom of the page.
If it still doesn’t work it might be worth starting from the beginning again, clean and partition the card, reload the musicbox image, connect by cable then make the necessary changes in the ‘Settings’ section.
Once it’s set up it is worth the effort - it’s an excellent way to listen to music.

Thanks very much for the advice. Will try now.
Plan B - which wifi adapter are you using? If I know one works I can order a replacement, it’s hardly a massive cost.

This one, I don’t now if you are in UK but if you order now it should be with you in a couple of days, it worked as plug and play, and as you say it’s not a huge investment. If convenient you can carry on using the cable until the dongle arrives, at least you’ve got that far.

FIXED - ran the dongle on a windows laptop and then plugged it into the raspberry and it just picked up the wifi.

Thanks for all the input

Dan

Glad this has been resolved, just a quick note that the p80211 error is not a real problem and is just a bug in v0.6 (see here).

I’m not sure why this didn’t originally work, the log you posted looked like it did in fact connect to the network and receive the IP address 192.168.0.12 from your router. Perhaps the Windows driver managed to set some required firmware state on the dongle… weird.

Yeah i saw it had attached to that IP and that really confused me!

All’s well that ends well!!!