HiFi Berry DAC+

Hey,

I have been using musicbox on my Raspberry B+ for a couple of weeks and it has been great. I have just received a HiFi Berry DAC+ and it does not seem to be working with it. Has anyone got it working??

Cheers,
David

I would assume the required driver module snd_soc_hifiberry_dacplus is not yet present in the kernel used by pi musicbox (sudo modprobe snd_soc_hifiberry_dacplus will probably fail). Although the sound setup script (setsound.sh) doesn’t support the dac+ yet either. I think you are best off raising a bug at https://github.com/woutervanwijk/Pi-MusicBox/issues

Great, thanks. Indeed sudo modprobe snd_soc_hifiberry_dacplus does not work. I have posted there.

To anyone curious about this issue, I managed to get it working:

I think that the i2s setting on the musicbox interface was not working, so I had to check that /etc/modules was fine. Mine looks like this:

#snd_bcm2835
snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s
bcm2708_dmaengine
snd_soc_pcm5102a
#snd_soc_hifiberry_dac
ipv6
bcm2708_wdog
snd_soc_hifiberry_digi
#8192cu
snd_soc_bcm2708
bcm2708_dmaengine
snd_soc_hifiberry_dacplus

and then I had to check that the i2s module was not blacklisted. So, I changed raspi-/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf to:

blacklist spi-bcm2708
#blacklist i2c-bcm2708

(i.e. commenting out that i2s line)

Some final tips are, with the kernel you need to upgrade the certificates with:

apt-get install ca-certificates --fix-missing

as well as:

sudo apt-get install binutils

before:

sudo apt-get install rpi-update 

then

sudo rpi-update

Good to hear. Someone already added a howto to the forum:

Hi David,
I managed to reproduce most of your steps. After the firmware update I now have the snd_soc_hifiberry_dacplus module.
aplay reports the card found:

card 1: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus], device 0: HiFiBerry DAC+ HiFi pcm512x-hifi-0 []

The light on the hifiBerrt DAC+ is also on.

I have no sound however … Any suggestions what I can do more?

Managed to get it running. See here: Will it run out-of-the-box on a RPI B+?