ANNOUNCEMENT: Pi Musicbox v0.7.0RC4

For anyone who hasn’t seen, there’s a Release Candidate available to download at https://github.com/pimusicbox/pimusicbox/releases/tag/v0.7.0RC4

There are still some bugs in this but thanks to some great help from early testers I think the real 0.7.0 release is around the corner. Please do give this version a try if you are interested and report any bugs here or on Github.

5 Likes

Thanks for creating the new release (candidate)! I’m testing it on a Pi Zero and so far it’s working quite well. Great to have Spotify playlists back again!

I have run in to 2 issues though:

1. Release 0.7.0 RC4 seems to be less tolerant than 0.6.0 when powering off the Pi without first shutting down all processes. The file system corrupts and sometimes prevents it from booting again. I noticed it waits for the user to enter the root password to perform file system cleanup. This never happened to me on 0.6.0 where I never had to connect my keyboard to fix anything.

2. I have been using piRotEnc (GitHub - alidaf/raspberryPi: Raspberry Pi specific projects.) to control the volume on my Pi Musicbox 0.6.0 radio using a rotary encoder. On 0.7.0 RC4 I cannot run piRotEnc anymore as it gives the following error:

Unable to determine hardware version. I see: Hardware : BCM2835
expecting BCM2708 or BCM2709

I guess this is due to new drivers in the latest image. Do you know if there is something I could change to my 0.7.0 setup to make it work again?

Thanks again for all your work on Pi Musicbox.

Edit: My issue with piRotEnc and the new hardware ID BCM2835 has been resolved with the help of the author of piRotEnc. The solution was to install the latest version of WiringPi first (using instructions from Raspberry Pi | Wiring | Download & Install | Wiring Pi). I had initially installed WiringPi by doing sudo apt-get install wiringpi but that gave me an old version which did not support BCM2835.

Thanks for the positive feedback. Number 1 I can certainly look into. I hate to pass the buck like this but number 2 sounds like more of an issue with the rotary encoder software (http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/840/why-is-the-cpu-sometimes-referred-to-as-bcm2708-sometimes-bcm2835) but if there’s something we can do then let me know.

Just started playing with the latest version - couple of questions

1, My Spotify playlists now have ‘by username’ at the end, can it be turned off?

2, It’s probably been available for ages but I really like now being able to make playlists and save them, however I can’t find out how to delete them again.

3, Would it be possible to ‘append to’ on a playlist, rather than overwrite.

On a separate point, I’ve been doing a lot with Snapcast and Mopidy recently, it would be great to see Snapcast in the next version of PiMusicbox, Could you incorporate a stop as well as pause buttons, this frees up the audio line and allows switching between PiMusicbox and Snap to be smoother.

Thanks for all your efforts on this, only wish I could offer to be of some assistance.

Thanks for looking into number 1 :slight_smile:
Regarding number 2, I did a comparison by running the command

cat /proc/cpuinfo

on the same Pi Zero while running Musicbox 0.6.0 and 0.7.0RC4. This confirms that 0.7.0 somehow shows a different hardware-identifier than 0.6.0:

Musicbox 0.6.0:

cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor : 0
model name : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)
BogoMIPS : 2.85
Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java tls
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0xb76
CPU revision : 7

Hardware : BCM2708
Revision : 900093

Musicbox 0.7.0RC4:

cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor : 0
model name : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)
BogoMIPS : 997.08
Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java tls
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0xb76
CPU revision : 7

Hardware : BCM2835
Revision : 900093

I assume it’s the newer firmware or Raspbian release (Wheezy) that comes with the new image that actually makes the difference in identifying the CPU.

Yes very likely that changed. Might be related to the device tree stuff that is present in this much much much newer kernel. Hopefully your rotary software can be fixed to support both identifiers.

And on the plus side, look how much ‘faster’ it is with the new software! Note that the MIPs isn’t entirely bogus, it really should be a bit snappier.

How are you shutting down? I remember seeing that message once before but I can’t remember where and it doesn’t appear for me now when I select ‘Shutdown’ from the System menu in the webclient.

That’s an non-configurable part of mopidy-spotify so if you want to change that you’ll have to hack your source files.

It seems you cannot currently do this from the webclient. I think I only implemented the bare minimum playlist support in order to replace streamuris (which you don’t usually delete). You can of course manually delete the playlist file from /music/playlists/ but that’s a bit rubbish. This is an oversight, I’ve created an issue but I’m not sure I’ll get around to fixing it for v0.7.0.

When you saving the Queue, for example? I’ll lump that in with the above.

Yes, definitely, it’s a long standing issue. We were never sure where to put it (see here). It’d be a good first PR for someone…!

I usually just pause playback and then turn of the power using a hardware switch. I know this is not the safest way, but it’s convenient and it has never lead to any boot problems before 0.7.0.

And regarding the increase in BogoMIPS, yes that’s very impressive indeed :smiley:

That’s what puzzled me, I think am using Mopidy-Spotify on my other Pi’s and I don’t have the same text, how do I check which version I am running?
This is part of mpc playlist from a Pi running Mopidy,

Imelda May – Black Tears
Discover Weekly
Rag’n’Bone Man – Human (Deluxe)
David Bowie – The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars (2012 Remastered Version)
Amy Macdonald – This Is The Life
Duffy Power – The Marquis Sessions
Various Artists – Hidden Figures: The Album

And this from a Pi running PiMUsicbox, I do prefer it being in alphabetical order.

[Radio Streams]
100 Hits Of The '80s by stevie**
90 Hits Of The 90s by stevie**
Amy Macdonald – This Is The Life by stevie**
Amy Sky – Liv On by stevie**
Bob Saker – On A Night Like This by stevie**
Brian Eno – Here Come The Warm Jets by stevie**
Bruno Mars by stevie**

The current Mopidy-Spotify has very similar code here but it should only do it when the playlist is owned by someone other than you. I didn’t realise those playlists really are owned by you (and not following someone else’s). Do you have a non-standard Spotify login? Like a facebook one, for example?

I’ve not explicitly changed anything regarding the filesystem settings and the fsck that happens on boot. Yanking the power is not really something we support and I’m not sure what we could do without a major overhaul of the filesystem. Maybe to have it (mostly) read-only. Which would be nice to have one day, but it won’t happen for v0.7.0 sorry. Maybe you could bookmark http://musicbox/musicbox_webclient/system.html and just hit shutdown before yanking the power?

Not as far as I know, only thing is that I pay through the Sunday Times from an offer a couple of years ago. I would have thought it showed up on both anyway as I use the same name and password.

Sorry!! I had used capital S instead of lower case s in my user name - I’m surprised I still got logged in, but that’s obviously why it showed the playlists as belonging to someone else.

Where would the files that need to be changed live? I can’t seem to find them.

Was any progress made on the sliding menu issue?

Brilliant package … however the 0.7 version looses the web interface and I can’t connect via SSH (it’s enabled) when playing/changing mp3’s from an usb stick, power off/on is the only way of recovering.
DHCP or static IP, it’s the same issue

Update … comes alive again after a while (long waiting time)

1 Like

Just downloaded the Release Candidate and it is not working for me…
I can use the web interface but there is no sound. Also, the position inside the song doesn’t change after i press play.
I am pretty sure my problems have nothing to do with the new version, as this is the first time i tried using Musicbox and probably doing everything wrong. Any help?

Are you using a wired or wireless connection? Can you look in /var/log/mopidy/mopidy.log for any errors, or maybe something in /var/log/dmesg ?

What audio output are you using? Analogue? Hifiberry DAC? HDMI?