Streaming radio station pausing/buffering

If You are talking about buffer_time option then this option is reffering to the max-size-time property of the queue element that is connected to the output sink. By default it is set to 1s. I am reffering to the buffer-size and buffer-duration properties of the playbin element, which is used for network streams buffering. First, setting both of them makes no sense. buffer-size is set to 5MB and buffer duration is set to 5 seconds, so I guess that only buffer-duration is taken into account because 5MB of audio is much more than 5 seconds. Second, 5 seconds of buffer is quite large, much larger than 1s buffer in queue element at the sink.

PS. What values for buffer_time are acceptable ? Can I set it to 1ms ?

Sorry, you are right, that won’t help.

It’s been a long time since I read the Gstreamer source but I remember the behaviour with various buffer options being set was not how I assumed. Depending on the buffering mode it ignored some settings entirely. With our minimum version of Gstreamer now set to 14.0, and the addition of is_live, we need to take a good look at all this again (and maybe move to the newer versions of playbin).

I think that in the matter of radio stream pausing there is not much we can do because, at least in my case, it is caused by the radio stream source itself (when radio stops i can’t ping the radio URL domain). But we can reduce the pause lenght. By leaving playbin buffer parameters to its defaults i can see improvement. So maybe just add those parameters to the co fig?