Playing order, I want to play in track number oder

I’m running Mopidy on a headless Raspberry Pi, with help from here (thank you everyone) I now have it playing through my USB Codec. So far so good! :slight_smile:

Now I want to play tracks from selected albums in track order and I’m failing miserably at the moment. It seems that it’s Mopidy that decides the playing order, not the client, and the playing order appears to be random. This might be alright for some types of music but it makes no sense for quite a few of my albums. For example I have an album ‘Folk Banjo Styles’ where the different styles of playing progress as you play through the album in track order. Similarly with orchestral music playing in order is absolutely necessary.

So, can anyone tell me what I need to do? Are there clients which tell Mopidy what order to play in? Or is there a setting in Mopidy which would make it default to playing in track order? All my albums have track filenames with a two digit track number as the first two characters of the name so alphabetical order sorts them correctly.

Like every other music player out there, Mopidy plays tracks in the order specified by a tracklist/queue (unless you’ve specifically enabled random playback mode). I think every client provides a way to view the current tracklist and see the playback order.

Clients tell Mopidy what order to add tracks to the tracklist, either explicitly or implicitly. I think some more context would help figure out why this isn’t doing the right thing. As a start, which Mopidy client is this?

kingosticks [1]kingosticks
December 18

Like every other music player out there, Mopidy plays tracks in the
order specified by a tracklist/queue (unless you’ve specifically
enabled random playback mode). I think every client provides a way to
view the current tracklist and see the playback order.

Yes, I can see the playback order, it’s random (or at least
definitely not in track order).

Clients tell Mopidy what order to add tracks to the tracklist, either
explicitly or implicitly. I think some more context would help figure
out why this isn’t doing the right thing. As a start, which Mopidy
client is this?

I’ve tried a few, the ones I have installed at the moment (on an
xubuntu Linux system, remote client to the Pi running Mopidy) are
argos which is ‘native Mopidy’ and gmpc which is an MPD client.

Argos seems to just present me with a list of tracks that it has got
from Mopidy (presumably) and they look pretty random to me. The track
numbers are shown and are not in order.

Gmpc has a more ‘comprehensive’ interface but doesn’t seem to be able
to sort tracks in numerical order. It doesn’t show the track number,
you can sort alphabetically but that then sorts by track title.

… oh, I have Cantata too, another MPD client.

Which backend is this? Mopidy backends are generally free to provide the tracks in any order, it doesn’t even have to be consistent. For example, the File backend blindly provides tracks as it reads the filesystem so the order probably isn’t what you might expect. But that shouldn’t matter as it’s up to the client to do something sensible with the tracks it receives. A client probably wants to provide a way for users to view (and add) the tracks in any order they want. Track numbers only makes sense when working in an album context so things need to be flexible.

AFAIU @chrisisbd has hit a limitation of Argos where tracks from directories served by Mopidy-Files are sorted by track name, not track number.

Work is ongoing to allow the user to change the sort method. See Tracks are always in random order · Issue #156 · orontee/argos · GitHub

I use Mopidy-Mobile. I’ve had no problems with the track order in Mopidy-File.