No way to register without linking another account?

I just had to link my GitHub account in order to create an account here.

Is there no way just to use an email address without linking another account? I am pretty sure I was never asked to enter any password, so I was hesitant to unlink the GitHub account.

I tried to log in with the email option after registering (which was not an option before registering), but could not seem to actually enter an email address anywhere.

I do block some scripts (uBlock Origin) and always connect from VPN (I don’t go on the internet without it these days) and so I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

I am very privacy conscious, and it makes my skin crawl the way some of these companies just want to link together all of your personal information. Especially with GitHub being owned now by Microsoft…

I know it has been a year since this question was posted, so I’m just answering in case anyone else wonders about the same thing:

We’ve only enabled “social” logins so that we won’t have to handle any passwords, making the blast radius smaller in case the forum is ever compromised.