[iris + snapcast] Connexion issue ONLY on mobile (android)

Hello all, and thanks to the core team maintaining these wonderful tools.

I am working on an android use of mopidy trough using iris + snapcast when moving inside my house (or even outside with port forwarding).

I get no problem with snapcast connexion on my laptop (ubuntu + chrome), but with EXACTLY the same configuration on my mobile browser (android + chrome) it fails to connect to snapcast.
The most surprising is that in the same browser, a direct connexion to snapcast web outside from iris works (192.168.44.131:8000)…

I use a basic audio config in mopidy
output = audioresample ! audioconvert ! audio/x-raw,rate=48000,channels=2,format=S16LE ! wavenc ! filesink location=/tmp/snapfifo

Does anyone have a clue of what could be the cause of it ?

It seems actualy very close to this issue Iris: Snapcast shows as “disconnected”, though it works

@jnussbaum Has it been solved on your side ?

Yes, it has, and unfortunately the explanation was both embarrassing to me, and unlikely to be helpful to you.

It turns out that Iris was simply resetting the host/port values after restarts, while the rest of my Mopidy chain kept the correct values. Iris was attempting to connect to the Snapserver via “localhost”, instead of “mediaserver” (which is my /etc/hosts alias for the machine Snapcast is running on). Thus, the music was playing correctly because Mopidy itself was configured to play through Snapcast via “mediaserver”, but Iris wasn’t able to control it because it has the wrong host value. And I never noticed because I almost never restart the client machine so I normally never had to change this configuration, and because “localhost:1780” seemed like a reasonable value to pop up in the Iris configuration box.

It looks like you are correctly setting your host/port values on your mobile browser, so your issue must lie elsewhere. Good luck!

I actually found the -silly- reason : an auto-space added in between the IP dots by my android auto-completion :wink: and it rocks !
If that ever helps others…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.