Can't setup web extension

Hi,

I’m attempting to set up Mopidy on a raspberry pi. Everything was going OK until I needed to install a web extension. At that point I got an error saying pip command not found. I googled and found this post suggesting to use easy install. The only easy install I could find on my system was called easy_install-pypy, so I used that. I still couldn’t just type pip - I had to qualify the path:

sudo /usr/lib/pypy-upstream/bin/pip install Mopidy-MusicBox-Webclient

That seemed to work, but I cannot see the extension when hitting the mopidy HTTP server.

Can anyone tell me what’s going on here?

Thanks

The original Python implementation is called CPython. pypy is another implementation of the Python language. Both exists in versions compatible with the Python 2.7 and Python 3 versions of the Python language. Each combination of Python implementation and Python version installs packages into different locations on the file system. On a system with multiple implementations and/or versions installed you’ll usually have one pip command for each.

Thus, when you use pypy’s pip command to install the extension you install it in a location entirely unknown to the Python implementation that runs Mopidy.

Assuming you’re running Raspbian on your system, you can install pip for Python 2.7 with:

sudo apt-get install python-pip

This will give you two equivalent pip commands:

/usr/bin/pip
/usr/bin/pip2

If you use one of these to install the extension, Mopidy should find it when it is restarted.

Thanks very much for the detailed explanation, jodal - that was super helpful! I now have the web extension up and running.

Cheers