Some questions on Mopidy

Hello everyone,

I am trying to get a proper sound system my workshop. The workshop has 2 floors, 2 top floor has built in speakers on the ceiling. The ground floors has an old steerio with an amplifier.

I am thinking on reproposing an old laptop to run mopidy and be able to stream music of spotify along with other sources.

I only have 3G broadband on the workshop for the time being, and I have Spotify premium, so I would be able to have offline playlists along with my offline music.

The laptop would be connected to the sound system by an audio jack on the top floor, and stream to the workshop floor with this digifunk.

My questions are:

• Does mopidy support caching spotify playlists offline ?
  • Does it support streaming to airplay-like devices ? (I don’t know the name of the o the protocol)
  • Can It stream to multiple outputs ?
  • Can I sync playlists on demand ? I plan to give default route to the machine from time to time and just update mopidy.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Regards,
Alfredo Palhares

Hello again,

Any ideas?

Not currently, but a lot of the groundwork for this has been done with the new Mopidy-Spotify 2.0 released a few weeks ago. Offline Playlists/Albums/Artists · Issue #10 · mopidy/mopidy-spotify · GitHub is the tracking issue.

Currently there’s no fitting APIs in Mopidy core for selecting playlists for offline storage from a Mopidy client, so the most interesting current candidates to control this is either a config with the list of playlists or a command, like mopidy spotify sync. So yes, this might become possible with offline support.

There’s a GStreamer sink called raopsink which is supposed to support this. I remember we tried it a bit at DjangoCon in 2011, but didn’t manage to get it to work then. I have no idea if it is more or less feasible in 2015.

Yes, that is possible. The audio/output config value is passed directly to GStreamer as the last half of the GStreamer pipeline. With the use of tee elements it is possible to split the pipeline into multiple parallel pipelines that ends up in different GStreamer output sinks.

The exact details of this can probably be found in other forum posts or GitHub issues.

Can It stream to multiple outputs?

With the use of tee elements it is possible to split the
pipeline into multiple parallel pipelines that ends up in different
GStreamer output sinks.

I stepped upon this as well. However, I feel that delegating all the output magic to gst is kind of a regression compared to the ‘traditional’ mpd that allows output selection from within the (mpd) client.

And this is exactly want I want: Output selection from the mpd client. Are there any plans to add this feature?

I opened a feature request to support multiple output the ‘traditional’ mpd way.