Mopidy-spotify: python-spotify is not going to be installed

Hello there!

I’m using Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS on a computer in the corner of my house.

After following the simple tutorial how to install Modipy, it seems to work just fine. Now, I’d really love to test spotify but I am very confused about installing it.

Because I have 12.04 I used wheezy on the wget step. Causing me this error when I want to apt-get install:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
mopidy-spotify : Depends: python-spotify (>= 2.0.5) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I tried to install with Jessie, but it is worst. An other dependency is needed.
I tried to install with “stable” by editing mopidy.list
I tried to install python-spotify manually via the git hud, but I still need some more dependencies.
I tried this here: .deb depends on Python 2.7.5-5, but Debian Wheezy only has 2.7.3 · Issue #174 · jodal/pyspotify · GitHub but it does not seem to be my problem, because I am not on a Raspberry Pi

Well, I am stuck, do you have any idea what could be the problem or what I’ve done wrong?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile: !

Sorry for the late answer!

Good, that’s the Debian distribution closest to Ubuntu 12.04.

Can you to run sudo apt-get install python-spotify to see why it is not going to be installed?

In general, I would highly recommend Debian jessie or Ubuntu 14.04 or newer over Debian wheezy/Ubuntu 12.04.

But, without the error message you got on Jessie, I’m not able to help you. Can you have the error from APT?

“stable” these days means “jessie”, so if you tried this when running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, you would get uninstallable packages for sure. If you did this when running Jessie, that’s totally OK, though using “jessie” keeps you locked to the packages matching Jessie whenever the next Debian stable release comes out, so “jessie” is a bit safer to use than “stable”.

If you want to try that again, please see the detailed docs at Installation — pyspotify 2.1.4 documentation. Building python-spotify yourself is a bit involved.