How to tell if mopidy is installed from multiple sources

I attempted to update mopidy this afternoon on my raspberry pi running Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie). Now when I attempt to start mopidy I get error messages referencing /user/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resource.py and several other similar messages. Unfortunately I am fairly new to unix, the raspberry pi, and installing packages using apt-get. I have been through several sets of instructions to install mopidy and configure it. It was working before my attempt to update before.

As I research issues it looks like one common problem is either the version/type of package installed or multiple copies installed. I don’t think I have a type of package issue since I’m on jessie. How do I tell if multiple copies or sources are installed?

Here is the complete error message:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ mopidy
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/mopidy", line 5, in <module>
    from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 2876, in <module>
    working_set = WorkingSet._build_master()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 451, in _build_master
    return cls._build_from_requirements(__requires__)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 464, in _build_from_requirements
    dists = ws.resolve(reqs, Environment())
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 639, in resolve
    raise DistributionNotFound(req)
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: Mopidy==1.1.1

/usr/local/bin/mopidy is pip-installed. I can tell that from it beeing in /usr/local/bin and not /usr/bin like apt-installed packages.

Thus, the first thing I’d try is to remove the pip-installed Mopidy:

sudo pip uninstall mopidy

Then, you can check that mopidy means /usr/bin/mopidy by running:

$ which mopidy
/usr/bin/mopidy

In general, I recommend using apt-installed Mopidy from apt.mopidy.com as you’ll then get updates automatically and non-Python dependencies are installed automatically.

Thank you very much! That was an easy fix!