File/media_dirs are not scanned for mp3 files

Hi, I am new to mopidy and I have currently installed it to my new Raspberry PI.

It runs as service under user mopidy. I am however unable to see the media files in my media directories.

I have mounted an USB drive to my raspberry PI, which is accessible on path:

/media/pi/SHIMON_USB

My /etc/mopidy/mopidy.conf looks like this:

[core]
cache_dir = /var/cache/mopidy
config_dir = /etc/mopidy
data_dir = /var/lib/mopidy

[logging]
config_file = /etc/mopidy/logging.conf
debug_file = /var/log/mopidy/mopidy-debug.log

[local]
data_dir = /var/lib/mopidy/local
media_dir = /var/lib/mopidy/media

[m3u]
playlists_dir = /var/lib/mopidy/playlists

[file]
enabled = true
media_dirs =
  $XDG_MUSIC_DIR|Music
  ~/|Home
  /media/pi/SHIMON_USB|Shimon USB
show_dotfiles = false
follow_symlinks = false
metadata_timeout = 1000

I have restarted the mopidy service using:

sudo service mopidy restart

and then scanned the local files using

sudo mopidyctl local scan

I am accessing the mopidy MPD through the RompR web extension, but I am unable to see any of the mp3 files placed on the USB stick. (I can see only one test mp3 file placed inside my /var/lib/mopidy/media).

Did I misunderstand some part of the configuration?

@jodal, @kingosticks - seems like you are the right persons to ask. Could you please check my configuration?

Thanks, shimon

Using the file backend, there’s no need for mopidyctl local scan; all files will be available instantly, but only via Mopidy’s “browse” interface. No search, no support for MPD list commands, etc. However, you should be able to see a top-level directory named “Files” with sub-directories “Music”, “Home” and (hopefully) “Shimon USB”.

I never used RompR, but IIRC there were some integration issues with Mopidy, and I don’t know if it supports the browse interface properly. So I’d suggest you just try one of the various other clients available and see if you can access your files.

Thanks for reply. I have noticed a warning message in my mopidy startup log:

2015-12-30 20:18:39,167 WARNING [536:MainThread] mopidy.file.library: /media/pi/SHIMON_USB is not a directory. Please create the directory or update the file/media_dirs config value.

I am able to see this directory in midnight commander. I tried to use /media/pi instead od /media/pi/SHIMON_USB in mopidy media_dirs setting and I could see the top directory in RompR. However I couldn’t get to subdirectories on my usb stick through the RompR web interface.

Whe I try to ls -l the ‘/media/pi’ dir, I get this output:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ls -l /media/pi
total 5
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 1024 Jan  1  1970 SETTINGS
drwx------ 6 pi   pi   4096 Jan  1  1970 SHIMON_USB

Could it be, thaht the mopidy use is unable to even see this directory? The USB stick was mounted automatically, should I remount it and use different permissions?

Thanks, shimon

Problem solved :smiley:

I tried to mount my USB stick using /etc/fstab to other mount point with default permissions and it did the trick.

I have edited the /etc/fstab file with nano (I have added following line under other uncommented linex):

/dev/sda1       /media/usbstick     vfat    defaults           0       0 

then I have rebooted the Raspberry PI.

After that I have changed my mopidy configuration to point media_dirs to new directory (/media/usbstick) and the subdirectories are now shown in RompR web interface under ‘Files’ section.

Just had a quick look at the code, and AFAICS your configured media_dirs have to exist when Mopidy starts, otherwise they will be ignored. Hence the lig messages. So another way to work around this would be to configure /media/pi as media dir, then you should be able to see your USB drive as a subdirectory even when you connect it at runtime.

I have tried this workaround (set /media/pi as media_dirs) but I was unable to see any subdirectories in RompR web page. But after adding the mount point to fstab everything works just fine. Mopidy is really great - thanks :wink: