Missing my lynx

Greetings all
Back in in the earlier versions of Pi Music box which included lynx the command line browser, I developed some scripts that used it to check to see if the Pi was still connected via Wifi, and if not, it would cycle the wlan0 down and then back up and that would usually do the trick to reconnect, and then another script would reload the appropriate stream from TuneIn and play it.
With 0.7rc5 there is no lynx and I get this when I try to add it:

apt-get install lynx
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree… Done
Package lynx is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package ‘lynx’ has no installation candidate

Can someone point me to the best repository or method to add lynx back on? I’m a noob about such things, I’m afraid.

Thanks in advance for any assistance rendered.

Try running apt-get update first to update your list of available packages.

1 Like

Wow. now I really feel like a noob… usually I do an apt-get update before trying to install something but I just spaced that, thinking this release being relatively new, it wouldn’t be necessary… It worked, as you suggested… I also didn’t realize this is a Wheezy release, correct? that’s excellent, as I use Wheezy for other Raspberry Pi Ham Radio devices…
Thanks for the fast reply and help, Nick. And thank you for Pi MusicBox… it’s been a tremendous help to me. 070.rc5 really is a great improvement from previous releases now that Playlists can be saved on disk, and the stream watchdog looks like it will do a much better job than a script I put on earlier MusicBox versions.

No worries. I should probably add lynx back to the image, thanks for the report. And I think you might be the first person to be pleased we are still on Wheezy!

Well, I have approx 60 RPI’s of various hardware iterations throughout North America (and a couple down under in Australia) all operating on Wheezy and while I am a Radio Communications Engineering type, I believe in the principle of… if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!
(grin). Seriously, I have a very stable environment with Wheezy, they are not accessible by the outside world so latent security issues that might crop up due to using an outdated linux release isn’t much of a concern because these units are being run headless and so no real easy way for them to be played with, and it’s just a very stable release, I’ve found.

Here is a testimony to the RPIs reliablity… I’ve only had two Raspberry Pi units quit working out of that population of 60, both being due to near or direct lightning strikes at the host location, and some of these units have been streaming shoutcast/icecast audio for going on 4 years now… I think that’s rather amazing all of them running on Wheezy.

1 Like